Friday, November 14, 2008

Ellison's turning 4



People say all the time that time flies by, but when I look at our little girl it's not a saying anymore. I've lived it. It is hard to believe that 4 years ago today I was huge pregnant and wondering what we were having. Here I am four years later reflecting on the years since then. 

With birthdays come celebrations! This is the first year that Ellison has been really asking about her birthday. We have had countless conversations that go something like this "First is daddy's birthday, then comes Jude's then Mommy's and then Ellison's." So in March she was asking when daddy's birthday was coming (July!!!)? We knew that this year had to be a fun one for her. We had a bit of a challenge however. All of our Saturdays are booked for the month and Sundays(normal Chadwick party days) for her school friends is a work day for many of their parents. The solution-2 parties of course! 

Today we started the birthday celebrating with a playdate with Ellison's friends from school. She has been with most of these kids since she was 8 months old. Many of their names have become such household names that it feels like they are a part of our family. Because the kids see each other all the time, it's not as often for us to get together for a playtime outside of school. Ellison also asks for play dates all the time so we thought it would be fun to do a playdate birthday party. I really wanted to keep it simple and a chick fil a party was just the right thing!  We got there at around 10 and by 11 everyone was ready to eat. They played some more and then I got to come home to a clean house (well semi-clean)! Chick-fil-a did all the rest. 

On Monday, her actual birthday, she will get to pick all the meals(a great tradition that I got from my sister-in-law) and they will sing happy birthday to her at school. That night we will open some gifts from SC and have dinner with her surrogate Aunt and Uncle-J anc C.  Next weekend she will get to celebrate Chadwick style with her Atlanta cousins and Nina and Papa to wrap up a true celebration fit for a princess! 

I just love watching her soak it all in. It makes me want to be a kid again. This year has been tough in a lot of ways. She is very very determined and challenges me in so many ways. She has really helped me see what an important responsibility parenting really is. 

I really am so thankful for all that she's taught me. It is a blessing to be her mom. I pray that my parenting would only improve this year and God would continue to use me to shape her into the child and ultimately woman that He wants her to be. 
 

No comments: